Monday, July 20, 2015

Clamshell quilt ... Time for an update

It's been a while since I shared any progress on my Clamshell, not since I finished the top last March so, how about a Clamshell update today? 



I have been hand quilting my clamshell off and on, taking frequent breaks for the sake of my fingers ... I am stitching at about 1/8 inch from the edge, going through all layers and, that would be four (not counting the batting)... Not what you might call "A walk in the park" but, I am still enjoying the slow process. I know it would have been easier to quilt at 1/4 inch from the seams to avoid stitching through them but, this is the way I decided to go and this is the look I was aiming for.


I tried different hoops and this is the one I have been using so far, it's my favorite. It's a square hoop by The Grace Company, it was a gift from my husband a few years ago when I first started hand quilting. 



I am working on three or four rows at a time, I am using a black Valdani pearl cotton #12. It's just perfect for this project.


I chose this beautiful print as my background, Moonlit by Rashida Coleman-Hale from the Cotton+Steel collection. I couldn't match the seams, as to my surprise, there was no horizontal repeat ... Uhh!


 This project is not happening as quickly as I would have liked, there are 38 rows and, I have quilted 18 so far.  Now that I am halfway through with the quilting part, it's quite encouraging.

Looking forward to finishing it!


Have a great week, hope you all enjoying your summer!

Maryse



Linking up with:



Cooking Up Quilts   Blossom Heart Quilt   QuiltStory   
Freshly Pieced   My Quilt Infatuation

and
   
Fiver of All Sorts for Lovely Year of Finishes


26 comments:

  1. Hi Maryse! This looks so beautiful! Pattern is fun and beautiful as your fabrics, too. I haven't tried clamshells, but yours look so nice that this goes to my list. Enjoy hand stitiching! I just start to quilt secret baby project. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your clam shell quilt, Maryse! I have the same square lap hoop from Grace company and I really like it, too. I haven't had a hand quilting project going in awhile, but I do have one in mind if I ever get around to setting those blocks and adding borders! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maryse, I love the look of hand quilting. You are doing a great job just keep plugging away at it and you will be done before you know it. I haven't done a completely hand quilted quilt yet but I have added it to the middle of larger quilts instead of fighting them through my machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the stitching you are doing - it really adds to the quilt and that backing fabric is perfect - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilting adds so much to the overall look of your quilt. Congrats on getting it half quilted. The first half always seems to take me the longest. And your square hoop looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A gorgeous quilt like this deserves that wonderful hand quilting Maryse! I really love the way the block pearl cotton looks against the clamshells. That must be touch on the fingers. I wonder if hand quilters develop callouses the way guitar players do?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a gorgeous quilt!! Your hand quilting is perfect for the design... the thread, the stitches, the 1/16" spacing.. just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the impact of the thread color!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. clamshell is on my list of "want to make" but I do not like EPP, what method did you use? it is so very nice and a wonderful way to use scraps

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm like the look of the clamshell quilts but I'm not sure how I would piece it. I'll probably never get to it but I'll sure cheer you on with your quilting. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's looking wonderful! Love that black stitching with your quilt. It's a great touch. This quilt is on my bucket list for someday, but I have sooo many quilts in front of it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your handquilting on this- really sets it off.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is gorgeous ! Hand quilting is slow but oh so enjoyable ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful hand quilting on that clam-shell quilt. I love scrappy so this is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. What a labor of love. It will be worth it in the end, though! I like how you alternated between rows of saturated prints and low volumes. Give us another update sooner rather than later! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another heirloom, one with timeless appeal. At the end of the year you will be pleased when you look back over what yo have achieved. I love your choice of quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is very lovely. I like your quilting decisions - hard work maybe but it is looking spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a darling hoop, and yes the fingers!!! It's coming along beautifully though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, Incredible. The hand quilting just add so much to this quilt even though it is a lot of work, you will be so happy with it when it is over and glad that you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That level of commitment is amazing. You've done such a beautiful job- congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is an inspiration to me! How did you choose to baste it?

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is sooooo lovely.... 💕💖

    ReplyDelete
  23. This quilt! It's amazing. Can't wait to see the finished product1

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have so much patience! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is GORGEOUS. My hands ache just looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very, very nice! Good luck with your goal!

    ReplyDelete