Saturday, July 11, 2015

Swoon Quilt Top {finished}

My Swoon Quilt Top is done!
I finished the top over a month ago and it's huge!!


I don't know about you but every time I finish a quilt top, to me, it sure feels like a "finish" even if the quilt isn't entirely completed.


This quilt is so tall that it drags on the lawn when the breeze isn't lifting it. (The quilt top is approx. 126 inches long x 100 inches wide.) It's definitely the largest quilt I made to this day!!
I thought it would be nice to make the quilt long enough to have a large fold over at the top.


The original size of these blocks is 24 inches, 
but to fit my bed, I re-figured the finished size of the block at 22.5 inches.



I began to enjoy the different steps in the making of the blocks once I found a way to press the seams effectively. I like my blocks nicely pressed and flat and it's not always easy to achieve when there are many layers at the intersections. With a bit of help from the web, you can see here how I was inspired to press the seams on my blocks.
And here is a good tip I got from Jasmine @ Quilt Kisses, you press your blocks then cover them with a magazine and leave them to cool ... It's a great tip!! 
   



Here are the rows freshly pressed resting on the railing, waiting to be sewed together(above) and on my design wall. (below) 


I used fabrics from the Gypsy Caravan's collection by Amy Butler, It's an older line but still one of my favorite of her's and Kona Snow.
The fabric for the backing is on its way and as soon as I get the backing done, I'll send it off to my longarmer. It should be a quick finish once I get it back.
                                            

Aren't these blocks beautiful?

This pattern by Camille Roskelley has been around for a while and surprisingly, I wasn't drawn into it immediately ... not until I saw a picture of this quilt laying on a bed. 

Big blocks for big quilts ... It's definitely a winner!!

Best, Maryse



Linking up with:

Crazy Mom Quilts  
Pink Doxies  Blossom Heart Quilt  QuiltStory  Freshly Pieced  My Quilt Infatuation 





34 comments:

  1. Your Swoon top is so beautiful! Just love it! I want to make one one of these days as well. I even have the fabric set aside for it. It is good to stop and admire each step on the road to the ultimate finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of these days my makes will be as neat at the back as at the front, just like yours! Beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! I especially love that clothesline shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow! It's beautiful... and VERY big! A wise move sending it out for quilting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It did turn out amazing! So glad the magazine trick helped, but I didn't come up with it. ;) I will be checking how you pressed your seams when I get to making this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply beautiful! I've enjoyed following your posts with this, and yes, a quilt top is a 'finish' in my book too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is such a gorgeous pattern and you have used really lovely fabrics - well done on a 'finish'!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A perfect finish, it is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wondered why I liked this quilt so much and after reading how big the blocks are I came to realise that because the blocks are big the whole quilt looks perfect. I also think your colour selection is what makes this quilt. A great finish and I look forward to seeing the quilting design.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The large prints work really well in the swoon blocks, congtrats on your flimsy finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 126x100. Et moi qui fait généralement du 60x72. Je suis loin du compte. Mais comme je les pique moi-même, je ne veux pas mourrir à la tâche (ou sacrer à tue-tête). Ton effet scrappy est très réussi.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the colors of your quilt! So perfect for the pattern.:) I always feel like a completed quilt top is a 'finish'. It's such a feeling of achievement all in itself.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is huge! But it is beautiful already, and will be even more so once the quilting is done. I love your fabric choices - they look so fresh and fun. Mostly from one line? Or a combination? I'll look back in your blog to see if you have already written all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the epic swoon finish. Absolutely love your fabric choices in this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilt is HUGE but is absolutely lovely! Congratulations on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful. happy sew cute Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! I have the pattern but it intimidates me. Do you have tips to share?

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks great Maryse! The back looks so neatly pressed and trimmed too - ready for basting. How do you plan to quilt this one?

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's beautiful! Congrats on your labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Incredible!! I love this larger prints you've used, they work so well for this block!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really want to make this quilt, and your version has only made me more determined to do so. Love the colours, and the back is so neat and tidy, despite all those seams!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautifully done! I agree, once the top is done it really feels like the quilt is done. Maybe it's because I send all mine out for quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your swoon quilt! I'm working on Camille's firework pattern now. How long did this take you? I'm working on pressing all the seams open for a flat finish as well. Time consuming, but love the result. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen!!
      It's hard to say how long it took me, in fact, it began rather slowly but once I had a good start, I was able to piece one to three blocks a day, it depends ...

      Delete
  24. It's gorgeous, Maryse! It was a great idea to redraft the blocks to fit your bed better. I would love to see a photo of the back of one of your blocks showing how you finally decided to press the seams. Congratulations on a beautiful top finished!

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh my goodness! this is absolutely gorgeous, Maryse!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  26. I recently bought this pattern, and after seeing your beautiful version I'm so excited to start mine. I just need to find the right fabrics. You did a beautiful job on your top!

    ReplyDelete
  27. A gorgeous "almost finish" Maryse! It's hard to picture how big it really is until you told us the size. I'm in love with the colors and fabrics in your blocks - Swoon indeed! I'll be referring to your pressing instructions when I make Moda Love blocks, which is similar to a Swoon block.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I too love that line from Amy!! It's a beautiful quilt! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Spectacular! One of my most favorite patterns!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. A completed top definitely feels like a finish to me. I love your fabrics and this is just fantastic. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  31. So impressive. I want to get this pattern now. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete