Tuesday, August 18, 2015

My Clamshell {finished}

Et Voilà!! After months in the making, I am glad to say that my clamshell is all finished!!
It's been washed, it's been dried, it's puffy, it's warm and cozy ... I'm happy as a clam at high tide!


I started this quilt earlier this year, it took a bit longer than expected but only because, at times,  I haven't worked on it ... It's after having read this post  that I seriously committed myself to finish it, I set a mental goal to work on it every day. Even when I didn't want to do it, I managed to put a few stitches. At least, no matter how many stitches I put in,  I was making progress and that's what mattered. And soon enough, it was done.


This quilt is hand sewn using the appliqué method and hand quilted with a black Valdani Pearl Cotton #12. The binding was applied to the front with the sewing machine and then finished by hand with a ladder stitch on the back. I used wool batting; it is warm, a bit puffy and so comfy ... :-)


There are 38 rows for a total of 589 clamshells (and 38 half clamshells). It's a good size for a throw quilt, approx. 60 x 76 inches. 

The next picture is one of my favorites, it shows the back of the quilt and I think the colors are just as beautiful in the back as the front ...


The backing and binding is Moonlit by Rashida Coleman-Hale from the Cotton+Steel collection, I like how the little stars pop out from the dark background.


If you want to see more of the process of this quilt,  click on "clamshell" in my labels section, on the left side of my blog. All related post will show up.

Have a great week everyone and enjoy the rest of the summer!!



Linking up with:

Blossom Heart Quilts   QuiltStory   Freshly Pieced   My Quilt Infatuation   Crazy Mom Quilts 

Fiber of All Sorts 

And

On the Windy Side for the 2015 FAL - Q3
(See the original finish proposal HERE)






35 comments:

  1. it is beautiful and one of the quilts on my list for one day

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is gorgeous!!! I absolutely love it. You did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness! This is downright beautiful!! What a lovely accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing!!! It is gorgeous, even the back of the top. What a good choice ofr backing and binding and the quilting is great too!! I love, love, love this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing quilt Maryse. I admire your persistence and the results. A truly beautiful classic quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A true masterpiece Maryse and one of my very favorite quilts! Just incredibly lovely! Love that photo of the back of the flimsy too.
    Progress every day adds up and it makes you feel good too. A great way to build momentum and complete a daunting task. I need to remember that more often myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know how much I've loved this quilt all along! The stitching only makes it better.:) Congrats on a fantastic finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes--the little bits of stitching every day do bring about amazing progress....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Congrats on a beautiful finish. My mom enjoys hand quilting with wool batting. I haven't tried it yet, but it is now on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, man. I love this so much. Love the backing, too! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a gorgeous quilt!! You must be so pleased :0) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! Then hand quilting is AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this pattern, I paper piece but don't have the patience for this shape!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous!! Just gorgeous!! A perfect quilt in every way. So.well.done!
    Happy stitching ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely gorgeous!! I would not have the patience to work on something like this but I love the result. It looks just as wonderful from the back in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on such a wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Maryse. This is such an immense amount of work...but such a beautiful result. It was definitely worth plugging away. Something I could benefit from at times.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH. MY. GOSH!!! Maryse, this is stunning! I know you are so proud of this one!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing quilt. I know a ton of work must have gone into finishing this. You've created an heirloom that will last for generations. You should be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Félicitations ! Quel travail ... Le quilting sort vraiment bien sur la photo du dos aussi.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Clamshell quilt is beautiful. I've been wanting to start one, I think they are just beautiful! Congratulations on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your clamshell quilt is gorgeous! I love it! Would love to look at maybe doing it with machine appliqué. All that hand work is NOT for me. :) Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful!!! An heirloom for sure!! Bravo to your hand piecing and hand quilting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW! What an achievement! That is both inspirational and stunning! Congratulations- you must be very proud of it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a lovely finish. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Maryse! This is just amazing! You have done huge job and it bacame most beutiful! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Maryse! This is just amazing! You have done huge job and it bacame most beutiful! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW! Your devotion and determination paid off! It is simply wonderful! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow this is just stunning - well done for persevering with it.A real family heirloom piece.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your quilt is so beautiful, and good for you for finishing it, just a bit at a time! The black hand quilting is a perfect compliment for this quilt. I'm visiting as a member of the official 2015 official cheerleading squad.

    ReplyDelete