Monday, May 15, 2017

Courthouse Steps - A Finished Quilt

I started this quilt about a year ago and, after finishing the top last spring, it just laid there for a while until I decided to go on with matchstick quilting. I am so glad I did. I think I'm going to call it Step-By-Step.

There are so many different fabrics in this quilt, I used a lot of scraps, but it hardly made a dent in my scrap bin. I had a great time mixing different fabrics to create each block. Not a fast quilt to make but, a rewarding one. 






Now a little more about the process for those who might be interested.

The first thing I did was to separate the scraps into three different bins, light, medium and dark. Then from that bin, I divided them by length but keeping the light /med/ dark separate. Bigger scraps were cut into strips then joined the others. 


All blocks were paper pieced. You can see bellow how I arranged the strips before assembling the blocks. To save some time, I worked on 4 to 6 blocks at a time. 


Evolution of a Paper Pieced Courthouse Steps Block.
Such a fun block to make!!


As for batting goes, all I had in hand was wool batting, and I wasn't sure how it would turn out, so I went to the big craft store near me and settled on Hobbs Heirloom Premium 80/20. I read once that 80/20 batting had a nice drape so I thought I could use that. :-) Hobbs Heirloom Premium 80/20 is a thinner batting, so again I figured it would be perfect with the dense quilting. I pre-washed it; I was afraid it would shrink too much (remembering a previous quilt I made using the same batting that shrunk way too much for my liking). I think it's ok to pre-wash batting in some cases, definitely not something I do every time. 

For those who wonder about the texture, the best way for me to describe it, is that it sort of reminds me of the Catalogue blankets my mother used to make on a large loom. 


Details about the quilt:

Name: Step By Step
Size: 53"x 68.5"
Pattern: Courthouse Steps paper template I printed online. 
Fabrics: From the scrap bin to my stash, there is a mix of everything.
Backing: Penmanship in Milk from the Honor Roll Collection by Anna Maria Horner 
Batting: Hobbs Heirloom Premium 80/20
Thread: Superior Threads King Tut White Linen 40w 
Binding: Normandy Court Ticking Stripe Navy/Blue by Michele D'Amore
Finished: May 2017



Linking:





41 comments:

  1. Such a great quilt, Maryse and I'm inspired by the quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful! I LOVE the quilting. That must have taken forever (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly. Yes, it took forever!!
      (Sorry, I answered here because I didn't get an email notification of your comment).

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! So much work, especially doing it the paper piecing way! I've only made one and it took hours and hours and hours, plus oodles of fabric! They are totally worth it though. Such a classic, lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this one. I have been watching your progress over on IG. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Imagine tearing out all those paper pieces. Such a beautiful finish - now I want to make one!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is gorgeous! I love log cabins and have yet to make one for myself. I haven't tried paper piecing yet and am not sure I'd want to make a log cabin that way. I know it's supposed to be more accurate but it sounds like much more work too. I was wondering how wide the strips were and the size of the blocks. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome quilt ! It looks amazing. You must have great patience but it is truly rewarded with this beauty. Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt! You did a fantastic job with the values - really makes it a sing! Tons of patience ripping out paper - your brave

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful quilt! Your quilting adds real texture, looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am still gazing at your quilt, lots of texture, lots of contrast, simply beautiful! And thanks for linking up to 'sew stitch snap SHARE'

      Delete
  10. Oh my gosh! This is gorgeous! I don't know how you did it! Scrappy, quilting...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful quilt! Thank you for sharing the process!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowser that is awesome, I love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am also (slowly) making a log cabin over tissue paper patterns. Yes it is slow, as you say, but it certainly keeps the blocks all the same size. Like you, I've been stitching 5 or 6 together, to make it a little faster.
    Your quilt is beautiful and I love the matchstick quilting. Is that hard to manage on a domestic machine?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just a gorgeous quilt--the colors are so beautiful great job hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just a beautiful quilt! I have a Courthouse Steps quilt that my grandmother made to commemorate the "new" courthouse in New Jersey in the early 1900's. Although she never really enjoyed doing the "required" handwork of her time, she did teach me the importance of pressing when sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another gorgeous quilt, and I just love how it has been quilted. Really beautiful Maryse.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Without question, one of the most beautiful quilts I've ever seen. Ever. Simply breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a No-Reply Blogger, and the only way for me to answer you is here. I just want to thank you for the lovely comment you left. Hopefully, you'll see this!!

      Delete
  19. Wow! This quilt is amazing!! I love it! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have hopped over from sew stitch snap and share in New Zealand........your courthouse steps quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! I just love it :) You must have the patience of a Saint though, doubt I would have finished this one lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your courthouse step quilt! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Today was my first visit to your blog and I have really enjoyed every morsel of colorful quilty goodness!
    I have just completed 16 courthouse steps blocks for a lap quilt and loving the 1 1/2 inch strips too much to put the leftovers back in the cupboard I proceeded with some pineapaple log cabin blocks which I am loving! I posted on my blog about them several days ago (first post in over a year...ouch)if you care to take a look. Cheers, Rowena

    ReplyDelete
  24. Paper piecing and matchstick quilting - you must be very patient, but the end result is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your Courthouse Steps is fabulous. I've been thinking of trying one but would probably not paper piece it, though I might find out it's necessary, huh?

    I'm so glad you added the pronunciation for your name. I've always wondered how to say it and now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is one of the loveliest quilts I've ever seen! I am a sucker for courthouse step quilts, and have made a few myself, but never one like this! One is definitely in my future! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You did a beautiful job. Your perseverance sure paid off. Thanks for sharing your process and your finish. Love the quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's so gorgeous. Another fabulous quilt in the books!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is such a beauty! I wouldn't have thought of matchstick quilting right off, but it makes the quilt sing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Bonjour Maryse, your quilt is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  31. A SUPER scrummy quilt! Thanks for sharing your process........hello from New Zealand I'm "Sew-Stitch-Snap-Share" groupie!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have yet to make a Courthouse Steps Quilt, but after looking yours over with amazement and being inspired by all of the stunning colors and scrappy fabrics you put together, you have inspired me to give it a go. I happen to love paper piecing, and the accuracy that comes with it. I have the patience to do this type of quilt, one thing I love most about quilting is that it is like putting a puzzle together, after each step is completed, you see another part of the puzzle come together, and each time that happens, I get more excited about the quilt. If my finished Courthouse Steps Quilt turns out half as good as yours, I will be thrilled! Thanks so much for sharing this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This quilt is gorgeous! I love all the scraps and how you organized them. What an amazing finish.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love this quilt Maryse! you have worked your fabrics to create a timeless classic.

    ReplyDelete